1. The word Rehaan (الريحان) means sweet swelling plant.
2. It is called Rehaan (الريحان) in Hadis, Quran & Arabic.
3. In English it is called as Sweet basil, Myrtle.
4. In Hindi it is called as Tulsi.
5. In Sanskrit it is called as Vishwa Tulsi.
6. In Hindi, Gujrati & Urdu it is called as Sabza.
7. In Marathi it is called as Tukmaria.
8. In Latin it is called as Ocimum basillicum.
9. Family Larniaceae
Rehaan (الريحان) means sweet smelling plants. It is not one type of plant, Allah Ta’lah has gifted every region a sweet smelling plant, according to their needs, and they all come under the topic of Rehaan (الريحان) means every region grows sweet smelling plants of its own kind by the grace of Allah Ta’lah,
Characters of Rehaan (الريحان): –
The leaves, stems, pods, flowers etc all have a sweet smell, but the taste is bitter.
There are different-
different species of sweet smelling plant in the world, and all come under the title of Rehaan.
In India it may be Tulsi.
In Arab it may be Myrtle.
In Iraq and Syria, it may be Sweet basil.
In India, Tulsi have all qualities, and can be taken under the heading of Rehaan.
1. Chapter (Sura) Rahmaan verse no. 12.
2. Chapter (Sura) Waaqia verse no. 89.
Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم ’s guidance about Rehaan (الريحان)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
Rehaan (Rayhan) in Jannah
1. Hazrat Usama Bin Shariq رضي الله عنه narrates a long Hadees in which Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم explained a long detail about Jannah (الجنة) (in that, it is said that, In Jannah (الجنة) (paradise) there will be plants of Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (sweet smelling plants) & its branches, & mentioned other luxurious things of Jannah (الجنة) .(It is a long Hadees). : Reference Kanz al-Ummal: 39268.
Do not refuse or reject Rehaan (Rayhan), if it is gifted: –
2. Hazrat Abu Usman An-Nahdi رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said if anyone of you is given (gifted) Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (fragrance) do not reject (refuse) it, (because) it is from Jannah (الجنة). : Reference Tirmizi: 3021; Book No. 43, In English volume no.5; Book 41, Hadees no 2791.
3. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said whoever is offered Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان), should not refuse it, (because) it has pleasant smell & is light in weight. : Reference Muslim 2253; Book no. 40; In English; Book no. 27; Hadees no. 5600.
Quran reciting people
4. Hazrat Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said “A believer who recites the Qur’an is like an orange whose fragrance is sweet and whose taste is sweet, a believer who does not recite the Qur’an is like a date which has no fragrance but has a sweet taste and the hypocrite (munafiq & faajir) who recites the Qur’an is like Rehaan (Rayhan) basil whose fragrance is sweet, but whose taste is bitter and a hypocrite (munafiq & faajir) who does not recite the Qur’an is like the colocynth which has no fragrance and has a bitter taste. : Reference Bukhari: 5427; Book no. 70; In English volume no. 7 Book no. 65; Hadees no 338. (Colocynth is a bitter cucumber & also
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم‘s Rehaan (Rayhan) on Earth
5. Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that Hasan & Husein رضي الله عنه both are my Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (sweet smelling flowers) on earth (الدنيا). : Reference Mishkat: 6145.
Angles Referring a pious soul as Rehaan (Rayhan): –
6. Narrated Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم once explained a long detail about (Farishtaas) angels coming to a good pious person to remove his soul, the angles refer the good person’s soul as Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (Along with many praises). : Reference Mishkwat: 1627.
Part to be used
1. Leaves, soft -stem, fruits, pods, roots, flowers.
2. Stem, stem bark, root- bark
How to use
1. Fresh leaves, soft stems, fruits, flowers etc can be chewed and eaten.
2. Leaves, stem, fruits, flowers etc all together can be soaked in water, over night and boiled in mourning for 15 minutes, than filter and drink the water in lukewarm condition.
3. Can be used with ginger, fruits, Methi (a type of bhaji, leafy, with root or use its seeds), munnaka (dried grapes of big size), kalonji (black seeds) etc but use in little quantity, for 21 days or more.
4. Always try to eat or use all parts of it, like leaves, soft stems, flowers etc together, because they all have different- different benefits and are compatible to each other.
Scientific benefits of Rehaan
1.Reduces cough, lungs infection, diarrhea, stomach infection, cold & cough.
2. Also helpful in skin infections, internal infection,
3. Can be used in all diseases, along with other medications.
4. Reliefs heart problems, sinus, throat infections,
5. Expels gases, increases urine out- put.
6. Good for sleeps, migraine, weakness, menstrual problems etc.
How much to use
1. Take 5 or more leaves, with stalk of stem, with 1 or 2 flowers, daily 2 to 3 times a day for 15 to 30 days. (Refer how to use column)
Can be used for skin, wounds, ulcers etc, (apply on skin lesions)
Prepare a paste out of Rehaan’s leaves, flowers etc and apply on the lesion.
Science & Hadees regarding Rehaan (Rayhan)
In general Rehaan (Rayhan) mean two things 1) sweet smelling plants 2) Sweet smell. In Hadees of Abu Musa رضي الله عنه it is said that “the hypocrite (munafiq & faajir) who recites the Qur’an is like Rehaan (Rayhan) basil whose fragrance is sweet, but whose taste is bitter” may refer to sweet smelling plants, thought Allah only knows better, the interpretation of this Hadees is very wide & not easy to do, I understand from this Hadees is that, All the sweet smelling plants may not be good to use, so they are compared with non-believers (munafiq & faajir).
According to modern science sweet basil has many health benefits but also a side effect, the above-ground parts of basil and basil oil are POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth as a medicine, long-term. These contain estragole, a chemical that might increase the risk of getting liver cancer.
But in one Hadees it is said, “Hasan & Husein رضي الله عنه both are my Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) on earth (الدنيا) again interpretation here is difficult, what I understand here is perfumes, thought Allah knows better,
Research indicates that there several health benefits associated with basil
A study by researchers at Purdue University revealed that basil “contains a wide range of essential oils rich in phenolic compounds and a wide array of other natural products including polyphenols such as flavonoids and anthocyanins.”
The herb contains high quantities of (E)-beta-caryophyllene (BCP), which may be useful in treating arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases, according to research conducted at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.3
Reduce inflammation and swelling – a study presented at the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s annual event, revealed that “extracts of O. tenuiflorm (Holy basil) were shown to reduce swelling by up to 73%, 24 hours after treatment”.
Anti-aging properties – according to research presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference (BPC) in Manchester, basil has properties that can help prevent the harmful effects of aging. Holy basil extract was effective at killing off harmful molecules and preventing damage caused by some free radicals in the liver, brain and heart.
Rich in antioxidants – results of a study published in the Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research showed that ethanol extract Ocimum basillicum had more antioxidant activity than standard antioxidants.4
Conclusion of Hadees
In Jannah there will be Rehaan (Rayhan) plants, do not refuse if you are gifted Rehaan (Rayhan) (perfume or flower or sweet smelling plant), and good souls are referred as Rehaan (Rayhan) by angles.