1. In Quran rain is called as GHAITH.
2. In Hadis, Rain Water is Called as Ma’aul Matar (المطر ماء)
3. Rain in Arabic is called as GHAITH.
Rain is mentioned in Quran at many verses.
Allah Ta’lah reminds us that “it is Allah who makes rain & rain fall.
Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about rain water (المطر ماء)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
Bathing in Rain: –
1. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that once we were with Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم and rain started falling, (the respected) Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم removed his upper outer garment (kurta) & rain fall on Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم; we asked Why did you do this? & Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said, because it (rain) has just come, from his Lord. (Allah Ta’lah). : Reference Muslim: 898; Book no. 9; In English volume no. 4; Hadees no 1960.
Dua while raining
2. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that whenever it rained in Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s time, (the respected) Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم use to pray to Allah Ta’lah that “Oh! Lord! Make these rain blessings for us. (Means make this rain beneficial for us). : Reference Bukhari: 1032; Book no. 15; In English volume no. 2; Book no. 17; Hadees no. 142.
3. Narrated A’isha رضي الله عنها that when it rained Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم would say: “ اللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْهُ صَيِّبًا نَافِعًا ” “Allahummaj’alhu Sayyiban nafi`a. (O Allah, make it beneficial rain).” : Reference An-Nasa’i: 1523; Book no. 17; In English volume no. 2; Book 17, Hadees no 1524.
4. Anas رضي الله عنه reported I saw Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم raising his hands (high enough) in supplication (for rain) that the whiteness of his armpits became visible. (Supplication for Rain). : Reference Muslim 895 A; Book no. 9; In English; Book no. 4; Hadees no. 1951.
Requesting for Dua for rain to Abbas uncle of Nabi
5. Narrated Anas رضي الله عنه whenever there was drought, Umar Bin Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه used to ask Allah for rain through Abbas Bin Abdul Muttalib رضي الله عنه, saying, “O Allah! We used to request our Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to ask You for rain, and You would give us. Now we request the uncle of our Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to ask You for rain, so give us rain.” And they would be given rain.” : Reference Bukhari: 3710; Book no. 62; In English volume no. 5; Book no. 57; Hadees no. 59.
When rain is excessive
6. Narrated by Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه, once there was no rain in Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم time, a man come and requested to Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to pray for rain & it rained from one Friday to next Friday, & the man came again saying that the rain is excessive & causing harm, Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم prayed اللَّهُمَّ عَلَى ظُهُورِ الْجِبَالِ وَالآكَامِ وَبُطُونِ الأَوْدِيَةِ وَمَنَابِتِ الشَّجَرِ “” (“O Allah ! (Let it rain) on the tops of the mountains, on the plateaus, in the valleys and over the places where trees grow.”) So the clouds cleared away from Medina as clothes are taken off. : Reference Bukhari: 1019; Book no. 15; In English volume no. 2; Book no. 17; Hadees no. 132. 1
Use of Rain water for diseases
7. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that “With your Halal (pure)(حلال) Earnings, buy Honey (عسل) & use it (Honey) with Rain water, this will help in Shifa (شفاء) for all diseases. : Reference Kanz al-Ummal: 28176.
When it could get darker
8. A’isha رضي الله عنها reported, I never saw Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم laughing to such an extent that I could see his uvula-whereas he used to smile only-and when He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم saw dark clouds or wind, (the signs of fear) were depicted on his face. I said Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم, I find people being happy when they are the dark cloud in the hope that it would bring rain, but I find that when you see that (the cloud) there is an anxiety on your face. He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said: ‘A’isha, I am afraid that there may be a calamity in it, for a people was afflicted with wind, when the people saw the calamity they said:” It is a cloud which would give us rain” (Qur’an. xlvi. 24). : Reference Muslim 899 C; Book no. 9; In English; Book no. 4; Hadees no. 1963.
Rain water a blessing
9. Hazrat Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه says that Rain started to fall from Heavens; Hazrat Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه asked his servant Abu Jawzaa to bring out his mattress & saddle so that the rain may fall on them. Abu Jawzaa asked him why you are doing that may Allah Have mercy on you. Hazrat Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه replied “Do you not read the Quran” (it is mentioned in Surah 50, verse 9, “And we have sent down from the heavens water that is blessed” & said therefore I would like the blessing to fall on them. : Reference Marifatul Sunana Wal Aasaar: 7232.
1. Rainwater is relatively pure stuff. The process of evaporation leaves chemicals behind, and what you see falling from the clouds starts out pretty clean. Evaporation is nature’s distillation process.
2. Rain water is the purest water in the nature, there is nothing wrong in drinking the raining water. But we must purify it before drinking. Rain water is having a lot of health benefits; it is having natural minerals & etc.
Science & Hadees regarding Rain
How do scientists look at rain nowadays?
All scientists all over the world confirm that rain is a very organized and complicated phenomenon and formation of one drop of rain depend on some exact physical rules & satellites photos shows a new discovery that it rains continuously in different places on earth.
So if we look at earth from different sides we notice that it is covered by clouds, scientists say that every second there are one hundred lightning flash all over the world, we know that lightning is linked with rain. So it is a real scientific fact that it rains continuously in different places on earth.
The four seasons are alternated on earth , when it is summer in the north half of earth , it is winter in the south half and vice versa .so it rains all the time day and night and most of rain goes into seas , this is a scientific fact.
What does our Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم say about the phenomenon of rain?
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم says that in every hour even in day or night, it rains and Allah distributes these rains wherever He wants) [Narrated by Al-Hakeem]. This Hadith confirms on a scientific fact that it rains all day and night on earth.
What do explainers of Quran say about this phenomenon?
Allah says, In Quran surah Furqan 48:50, And it is He Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain); and We send down pure water from the sky. That we may give life thereby to a dead land, and we give to drink thereof many of the cattle and men that we had created. And indeed we have distributed it (rain or water) amongst them in order that they may remember (the Grace of Allah,) but most men refuse to accept the Truth or Faith and accept nothing but disbelief or ingratitude.
According to the interpretation of Al- Baghawee, as Allah’s says, we have distributed it (rain or water) amongst them; it means distribution of rain among different countries. Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه says that every year, it rains in equal amount but Allah distributes it amongst earth.
Also Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه, Ibn Goraig and Mokatel told us that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said, there is no year that rain is more than the other, but Allah distributes livelihoods in our life as every year it rains in a specific amount, and if people commit sins, Allah would transfer rain to another people and if all people commit sins, Allah will send rain in seas [Narrated by Al-Hakeem].
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم was living in desert area with no satellites or meteorological agencies and there was no method to predict with the continuous rain in day and night. so if He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم used to speak from his own (without inspiration of Allah), He would say the same as His people says to get their support, but in fact He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم got nothing from His own so we have to ask, who told Him these, scientific fact which discovered after hundreds of years , what made Him صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to say that? Don’t you see that the reason is to make it as an eloquent reply on people who mocks at the best man humanity ever known? Allah taught Him all.
1. The Prophetic Hadees states unknown scientific fact at that time as a proof that Prophet Muhammed صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم is sincere, truth & honest. As in some eloquent words He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم summarized scientific fact as He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said, in every hour even in day or night, it rains and Allah distributes these rains wherever he wants [Narrated by Al-Hakeem]. You have to notice that any scientists or even a Bedouin can understand the meaning of the Hadees.
2 Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم told us about very important issue that distribution of rain is by Allah wherever He wants. It is very strange to know that there are some scientific references about water cycle systems on earth. Scientists confirm that each year there are fixed amount of rain.
3. It is very strange that no one at that time denied the Hadees despite the opposition in His life and after Him صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم & those people were living in desert where rain may not fall down for years.
4. There is a question to atheists who denies the Prophecy of Muhammed صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم, what made Prophet Muhammed صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to know about unknown scientific fact that will not benefit Him anyway! As you the atheists say that Muhammed صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم was only asking for famous so He wrote the Quran. But we say why Prophet Muhammed صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم told us about these scientific facts and didn’t tell us about some of his own stuff if He was looking for power and glory?
Conclusion of Hadees
1. Do Dua if rain in falling that Allah make it beneficial for us, store the rain water direct in to a clean vessel & use, also store in clean containers for non seasonal uses of it. Do Dua if rain does not fall, in Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s way, also do Dua if rain is excessive. Rain water & honey can be used for treatment.