Many scholars consider bottle gourd (dudhi) as Dubba & Kar’a, but many consider pumpkin (Kaddu), we can consider both pumpkin & bottle gourd, , but pumpkin refers more stronger than bottle gourd. Bottle gourd is lauki (Dudhi). So we should eat both, and both are considered as Sunnah, Though Allah Ta’lah knows better.
Quranic reference of it
Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about pumpkin (kaddu and dudhi)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
1. Narrated Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه that, a tailor invited Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to a meal which he had prepared. I went with Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to that meal, and the tailor served Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم with barley bread (خُبْزًا مِنْ شَعِيرٍ) and soup of gourd (دُبَّاء) and cured meat. I saw Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd (الدُّبَّاءَ): Reference Bukhari: 5439; Book No. 70; In English volume no.7 Book 65, Hadees no 350.
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم had a slave (gulam) to whom (respected) Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم had freed, this slave became a tailor & invited (respected) Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم for a feast.
Liking of Pumpkin
2. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم liked (حب) Kar’a (القرع) (Pumpkin) very much. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3427; Book No. 29, In English volume no.4; Book 29, Hadees no 3302.
Dubba (Pumpkin) used to increase the food
3. Narrated by Hakim Bin Jabir رضي الله عنه that his father said: “I entered upon the Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم in his house, and He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم had some of this gourd (الدُّبَّاء), I asked ‘What is this?’ Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم replied ‘This is Qar’a (الْقَرْعُ), it is Dubba (الدُّبَّاءُ) we augment our food with it”. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3429; Book No. 29, In English volume no.4; Book 29, Hadees no 3304.
4. Jabir Bin Taariq رضي الله عنه says that “I attended the assembly of Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم & I observed, they were busy cutting a gourd into pieces, I inquired ‘What shall be made of this’, He صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم replied, It will be add in our food. : Reference Shama’il Muhammadiya: 161; Book No. 26, In English; Book 25, Hadees no 152.
Benefits & merits of Pumpkin
5. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that Dubba (الدباء) (pumpkin) increases the intelligence, brain function & increases brain strength. : Reference Kanz al-Ummal: 28277.
6. Hazrat Ataa Bin Ruba’h رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that Kar’a (القرع) (pumpkin) is present for you, which increases the intelligence & strengthens the Brain (الدماغ). : Reference shobul Imaan: 5547.
7. Hazrat Wasila رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that Kar’a (القرع) (pumpkin) is present for you, which increases the intelligence (الدماغ) and masoor daal (العدس) is also present for you, which was eaten by more than 70 Prophet of Allah Ta’lah. : Reference Tibraani: 152.
8. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها said to father of Hazrat Hashsham Bin Arwah رضي الله عنه that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said to her that whenever you cook dry meat add Dubba (دباء) (pumpkin) in it because it strengthens the heart which is effected with (قلب الحزين) inferior complex. : Reference Ibne Qayyim volume no. 1; page no. 308.
9. Hazrat Abu Talut رضي الله عنه says that I went to Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه & he was eating Kar’a (القرع) (pumpkin) & he said Kar’a (القرع) is from such a plant to which I like very much because it is loved very much by Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم.: Reference Tirmizi: 1849; Book No. 25; In English volume no. 3; Book no. 23, Hadees no 1849.
10. Thumamah Bin Hazn Al-Qushairi said: “I met A’isha رضي الله عنها and asked her about Nabiz, She said, ‘The delegation of ‘Abdul-Qais came to Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم and asked in which vessels they should soak (fruits – to make Nabiz). Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم forbade them to soak (fruits) in Dubb’a (gourds), Naqir, Muqayyar, and Hantam. : Reference An-Nasa’i: 5638; Book No. 51; In English volume no. 6; Book no. 51, Hadees no 5641. (These were the names of pots in which alcoholic drinks used to be prepared whose days).
11. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه said, Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم forbade soaking (fruits) in Dubba’ (gourds) and Muzaffat” (containers for make Nabiz). : Reference An-Nasa’i: 5630; Book No. 51; In English volume no.6 Book no. 51, Hadees no 5633. (Nabiz is, dates, grapes or dried grapes soaked in water overnight & the sharbat is drank, this Nabiz converts alcoholic so it is not allowed to prepare nabiz in pumpkin, green container & etc, as people use to do, at that time) (Please refer lesson no. 10 Dates)
Raw pumpkin contents
Energy, Vitamin A, beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin Thiamine (vit.B1), Riboflavin (vit.B2), Niacin (vit.B3), Pantothenic acid (vit.B5), Pyridoxine (vit.B6), Folate (vit.B9), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, carbohydrates & etc.
Scientific benefits of pumpkin
1. It is one of the very low calories vegetable. 100 g of it provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; It is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants elements, minerals, vitamins like vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E, it Improves vision due to Vitamin A.
2. It helps in control of cholesterol & weight. It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin, Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.
3. Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in retina of the eyes. Thus, it helps protect from “age-related macular disease” (ARMD) in the elderly.
4. It is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folic acid, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamine and pantothenic acid.
5. It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health.
6. In addition, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals and health-benefiting vitamins.
7. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%) etc., but no cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted to GABA in the brain.
8. Pumpkin juice is a juice extracted from raw pumpkins. Its juice has several health benefits due to which it can be used as a healthy substitute for carbonated drinks.
9. Pumpkin has a high content of vitamin D as well as minerals like copper, iron and phosphorus. Juicing is a suitable way to obtain these nutritional benefits of pumpkin.
10. This juice is highly regarded by vegetarians because of its delicious taste and versatility of use.
11. It is also used as an active ingredient in many sweets and pharmaceutical preparations.
12. It has Magnesium which is good for heart.
It helps in ATP (adenosine triphosphate) formation (the energy molecules of our body) & it increases pumping action of our heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxes the blood vessels, and brings proper bowel function.
13. Magnesium has been shown to benefit your blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack and stroke.
14. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc & it is important for our body in many ways, increases immunity, cell growth and division, sleep, mood, your senses of taste and smell, eye and skin health, insulin regulation, and male sexual function. Helps in colds and flu, chronic fatigue, depression, acne, low birth weight babies, learning problems and poor school performance in children, among others.
15. Pumpkin seeds are one of the best sources of plant-based omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid or ALA). We all need ALA; however, ALA has to be converted in our body into essential omega-3 fats EPA and DHA.
16. Pumpkin seeds are important natural food for men’s health because of high zinc content, which is important for prostate health.
17. Pumpkin seed extracts and oil is used in treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH, or enlarged prostate). Research suggests that both pumpkin seed oil and pumpkin seeds are beneficial in supporting prostate health.
18. Pumpkin seeds may help improve insulin regulation and help prevent diabetic & decreases oxidative stress.
19. Pumpkin seed oil is rich in natural phytoestrogens and studies suggest it may lead to a significant increase in good “HDL” cholesterol along with decreases in blood pressure, hot flashes, headaches, joint pains and other menopausal symptoms in postmenopausal women.
20. Pumpkin seeds are rich in healthy fats, antioxidants and fibers, & provide benefits for heart and liver health, particularly when mixed with flax seeds.
21. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of tryptophan, an amino acid (protein building block) that our body converts into serotonin, which in turn is converted into melatonin, the “sleep hormone.
22. Eating pumpkin seeds a few hours before bed, along with a carbohydrate like a small piece of fruit, may be especially beneficial for providing your body the tryptophan needed for your melatonin and serotonin production to help promote a restful night’s sleep.
23. Pumpkin seed oil has been found to exhibit anti-inflammatory effects especially in arthritis, without the side effect.
What’s the Best Way to Consume Pumpkin Seeds?
1. Pumpkin seeds should be eaten raw, but should be fresh & should soaked in water & than keep them in oven or roast them on a low heat. (At not more than 170 degrees F heat or 75 degrees Celsius), sprinkled with Himalayan or other natural salt, for about 15-20 minutes).
Scientific benefits of bottle gourd & its uses
1. Bottle gourd contains 92% of water and the remaining is easily digestible fiber. So it is the easily digestive food.
2. The glucose and sugar related compounds are nearly nil in the bottle gourd. So it the one of the food option for the diabetic patients.
3. Bottle gourd is the one of the body heat control food. It keeps your body temperature at normal level.
4. Bottle gourd juice is widely used for the weight loss. Take the fresh bottle gourd and peel the skin of the veggie and make the bottle gourd into small pieces. Take those pieces into juicer and make them as juice. Filter the juice from the waste. This bottle gourd juice helps to reduce the weight.
5. Bottle gourd helps to reduce the blood sugar levels. Take the bottle gourd in the daily diet or to make the habit of drinking the bottle gourd juice daily helps a lot to the diabetic patients.
6. It helps in reducing inflammations in the liver and kidneys.
7. This bottle gourd juice is also helpful in treating diarrhea. Take bottle gourd juice with a pinch of the salt this will heal diarrhea.
8. It is the best food for the person suffering from constipation. The water and fiber in the bottle gourd make the digestive system free and active and relive from the constipation.
9. Sesame oil mixed with the bottle gourd in the equal amounts and applied on hair and scalp, before going to bed, helps to have good sleep. It is one of the remedy for the insomnia (improper sleeps).
10. Bottle gourd helps to treat the urinary tract infection. Take the fresh bottle gourd juice and squeeze the fresh lime in it & mix both & take it orally. It is a best remedy for the urinary infections.
Content of bottle gourd dudhi
Water, Energy, Protein, Carbohydrate, Dietary Fiber, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, calcium, Vitamin C, B1, B2, B6.
Science & Hadees regarding Squash (pumpkin)
Squash is among the vegetables mentioned by Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم. Hadees from Bukhari quotes that Ibn Malik said, “A tailor invited the Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم to a meal that he had prepared, and I went along with the Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم. The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd.
Dexter L. Morris, MD, PhD, vice chairman and associate professor in the department of emergency medicine at the University Of Northern Carolina School Of Medicine says that “Squash and gourd contain such a rich array of vitamins and minerals and other compounds that scientists have just begun to map its healing power.” However, they have managed to come to at least a few conclusions and one is that squash is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and beta-carotene (25% and 66% respectively). Scientists have found that people who have more vitamin C in the diets over time have fewer lung ailments as the vitamin gets transported to the lining of the lung as serves as an antioxidant there. Also read scientific benefits.
In Hadees it is mentioned it increases the brain function & intelligence
For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%) etc., but no cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted to GABA in the brain; tryptophan is needed for melatonin and serotonin production to help promote a restful night’s sleep. It also prevent stroke.
In Hadees it is mentioned it strengthens the heart, reduces inferior complex
It has Magnesium which is good for heart. It helps in ATP (adenosine triphosphate) formation (the energy molecules of our body) & it increases pumping action of our heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxes the blood vessels, and brings proper bowel function. Magnesium has been shown to benefit your blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack and stroke. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health.
Conclusion of Hadees
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم liked pumpkin, it should be added in food, it increases the brain function & intelligence, strengthens the heart, reduces inferior complex, it was eat by previous Prophets also. We are not to prepare Nabiz in it. (Nabiz is when dates or Raisins are soaked in water overnight & the syrup in drank)