Quranic references of olive (Zaitun / Zait)
Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about Zaitun (Olive)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
Benefits & Merits of Olive oil
1. Hazrat Umar Bin Khattab رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said, “Use Zait (زيت) (Olive oil) in eating & massage the body with it, for it comes from a precious (مباركة) (blessed) tree. : Reference Tirmizi: 1851; Book No. 25, Hadees No. 67; In English volume no. 3; Book 23, Hadees no 1851.
2. Hazrat Uqba Bin Ameer رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said “For you Zaitoon blessed tree oil is present, treat by it (oil) so that it cures Basoor (الباسور). : Reference Abu Nu-aim/al-tibbe Nabawi: 463. (Basoor is a type of wound).
3. Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said treat with Zait (زيت) (Olive oil), eat & massage with it (oil) because it is Mubarak (مباركة) (blessed) tree. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3444; Book no. 29; In English volume no. 4; Book 29, Hadees no 3319.
4. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says eat Zait (زيت) (Olive oil) & massage (with it) in it there is cure for 70 (سبعين) diseases, including Juzaam (الجذام) (leprosy) (kodh). : Reference Abu Nu-aim/Al Zait: 684.
5. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said Eat Zait (زيت) (Olive oil) & apply it (on body) because it is Mubarak (مباركة) (blessed). : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3445; Book no. 29; In English volume no. 4; Book 29, Hadees no 3320.
6. Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said who massages with Zait (زيت) (olive oil) shaitaan (evil) do not comes near him. : Reference Abu Nu-aim/Al Zait: 685.
7. Hazrat Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم advised, as a treatment for Zaatul Janb (الجنب ذات) (pleurisy), Warss (ورس), Qust (قسط), & Zait (زيت) (olive oil) & take it at one side of mouth (يُلَدُّ). : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3596; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4 Book 31, Hadees no 3467. Please refer lesson no. 32 Warss & lesson no. 24 Qust learn about them.
8. Hazrat Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم ordered us to use Qustul Bahri (القسط البحرى) (white coloured kustha) & Zait (زيت) (olive oil) for Zaatul Janb (ذات الجنب) (pleurisy). : Reference Tirmizi: 2223; Book no. 28; In English volume no 4; Book no. 2; Hadees no. 2079.
9. Qatadah narrated from Abu Abdullah that Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه said that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم would acclaim olive oil ( الزَّيْتَ) and (الْوَرْسَ) Wars for (the treatment of) pleurisy.” Qatadah said: “And it is put in the mouth on the side which he is suffering. ” : Reference Tirmizi: 2222; Book No. 28, In English volume no.4; Book 2, Hadees no 2078.
10. Hazrat Khalid Ibn Saad رضي الله عنه says that I & Ghalib Ibn Jabar رضي الله عنه were travelling & Ghalib Ibn Jabar رضي الله عنه fell ill, Than we came Madinah, Ibn Abi Ateeq رضي الله عنه visited him, (because Ghalib Ibn Jabar was ill) Ibn Abi Ateeq رضي الله عنه was nephew of Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها & advice to use 5 or 7 seeds of kalonji (الحبةالسوداء) crushed & mix in little olive oil (زيت) & put the preparation in both nostrils. Ibn Abi Ateeq رضي الله عنه says that he heard Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها saying that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that Habbat Sauda (الحبةالسوداء) (black seed) has cure for every diseases except death & Hazrat Galib Ibn Jabar رضي الله عنه got well. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3575; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4; Book no. 31, Hadees no. 3449.
11. Hazrat Alkama Bin Aamir رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said “For you Zait Al-Zaitoon (زيت الزيتون) (Olive oil) is present, use it, in eating & massage because it is beneficial in Bawaseer (البواسير)” (piles). : Reference Kanz al-Ummal: 28295.
Contents of Olive
Scientific benefits of Olive
1. It protects coronary artery (heart artery), reduces cholesterol, blood pressure, controls diabetes, obesity, LDL, prevents cancers, breast cancers, stomach cancers, colon cancers, uterus cancer, ovarian cancers, skin cancers etc. It contains vitamin E & acts as an anti oxidant, prevents stroke, depression, reduces plaque formation in coronary arteries & prevent atherosclerosis & acts on wound healing.
2. Best for skin as an anti ageing, anti wrinkles, increases tone of skin, cleans internal organs, helpful in rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis & osteoarthritis, good for hair, lice problem.
Science & Hadees regarding Olive & Qust
Olive medicinal uses
The medicinal and cosmetic uses of olive products are truly astounding. The oil is extremely nutritious and is recommended by dieticians to “improve the balance of fats within the blood” (Adams, 2001) as well as in lowering cholesterol levels. Since the 1950s, the benefits of the Mediterranean diet, rich in olive oil, have been extolled. While it has always been promoted as being beneficial in lowering cholesterol levels, it is now increasingly being linked to lowering blood pressure.
A study by Dr. Ferrara and his colleagues of the Frederico II University of Naples, Italy (Ferrera et al., 2000) compared the effects of two similar low-fat diets on the blood pressure of hypertensive patients. One diet was enriched with extra virgin olive oil, high in monounsaturated fatty acids while the second was enriched with the same amount of sunflower oil with a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
The patients on the former diet, all hypertensive, showed significant reductions in their blood pressure, thereby indicating that a diet, rich in olive oil, is not only associated with lower levels of cholesterol, but with lower blood pressure as well. The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) eating plan, which promotes a diet low in sodium and high in unsaturated fats, also recommends olive oil (National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, 2003).
Another medical benefit of olive oil relates to the maintenance of a healthy digestive system. Oxford University’s Institute of Health found that “olive oil may have a protective effect on the development of colorectal cancer” (Stoneham et al., 2000).
Olive oil has traditionally been used to prevent constipation, assist in ‘cleansing’ of the gallbladder and in treating various ailments related to skin problems such as burns, scratches and sunburn (Cook, 1934). Cook, writing in the 1930s, said that, “Those who recognize its wonderful medicinal properties and the many uses to which it can be put will never fail to keep a bottle of pure olive oil in the house.”
Olive oil is also applied to the skin as it brightens the complexion, softens the skin and is used in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis. It is also used on the hair, especially problems relating to “dry hair and flaky scalp” (Adams, 2001). Furthermore, olive oil is used for massage and as carrier oil when blending essential oils.
The leaf of the olive tree is commonly used by herbalists for its antiviral properties. It has been traditionally used to cool fevers by boiling the leaves and concocting a tincture that is then taken orally (Privitera). Olive leaf was not only used to treat severe cases of fever, but tropical diseases such as malaria as well. Today, olive leaf extract is available from natural health practitioners and taken orally in a tablet form.
The studies found that people who regularly consume olive oil are much less likely to develop cardiovascular diseases, including hypertension (high blood pressure), stroke, and hyperlipidemia (high blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels).
Covas also found that regular olive oil intake helps reduce inflammation, endothelial dysfunction (problems with the inner linings of blood vessels) thrombosis and carbohydrate metabolism.
Olive oil helps prevent stroke
Dr. Cécilia Samieri, from the University of Bordeaux and the National Institute of Health and Medical Research (INSERM) in Bordeaux, France, and colleagues reported in the journal Neurology that olive oil may prevent strokes in older people & frying with olive oil does not raise heart disease risk.
The team found that older people who regularly used olive oil for cooking and salad dressing or with bread had a 41% lower risk of stroke, compared with their counterparts who never consumed it.
Dr. Samieri said, “Stroke is so common in older people and olive oil would be an inexpensive and easy way to help prevent it.”
Olive oil may reduce breast cancer risk
A team of scientists at the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona in Spain found a key mechanism by which virgin olive oil protects the body against breast cancer, in contrast to other vegetable oils.
Also very much helpful in cholesterol levels, Alzheimer’s disease, acute pancreatitis, protects the liver, ulcerative colitis
Olive oil acts healing on acne and other skin conditions. However, one study noted that squalene, which is in olive oil, may contribute to relief of seborrheic dermatitis, acne, psoriasis or atopic dermatitis. One laboratory study reported that a mixture of honey, beeswax, and olive oil inhibited the growth of Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans, with the same mixture reducing the discomfort of hemorrhoids and anal fissures in adults. It is very much beneficial for massaging infants and toddlers
Olive oil in metabolic syndrome
The metabolic syndrome is a combination of abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol, and high blood sugar. “Metabolic syndrome is connected to the obesity epidemic of our time, a big belly poisons our metabolism and a poisoned metabolism can result in type 2 diabetes, heart attacks, stroke, or sudden death,” a leading researcher noted.
Olive oil which is rich in oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, and contains several bioactive compounds such as antioxidants, high in phenolic antioxidants, Saturated Fat: 13.8%, Monounsaturated Fat: 73% (most of it the 18 carbon long oleic acid), Omega-6: 9.7%, Omega-3: 0.76%, Vitamin E: 72% of the RDA, Vitamin K: 75% of the RDA, oleocanthal, as well asoleuropein (antioxidants & anti-inflammatory), Some people have criticized olive oil for having a high Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio (over 10:1), but keep in mind that the total amount of polyunsaturated fats is still relatively low, so this shouldn’t be a cause for concern.
Qust & Zait (olive oil) use together
Qust is an anti-bacterial herb with a very good effect & olive oil increases its medicinal actions & both enhances act of each other.
A research on Qust for pleurisy (zatul Jamb) & other lungs disease
Anti-bacterial effect of Indian costus (Qust ul Hind) and sea-Qust and their water extracts on some pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system AL-Kattan, Manal Othman Faculty of Science (Girls), Department of Microbiology, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (Accepted on 4 May, 2012).
The pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system are characterized by resistance to most antibiotics. Staphylococcus aureus and Klebsiella pneumonia are some of the pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system which often cause pneumonia, pleurisy and meningitis. Moreover, they are the most prominent strains of bacteria in most hospitals.
Bacterial resistance to antibiotics occurs as a result of excessive usage of antibiotics in the treatment of diseases. For that reason, it is necessary to seek for medical alternatives that are safer for the treatment of these bacteria. Alternative medicine, especially, has revealed many plants and herbs that are used in the treatment for some diseases including respiratory diseases.
The purpose of this study is to determine the effect of the Indian Costus and sea-Qust on the pathogenic bacteria; Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, S. aureus and K. pneumonia. In addition, the effect of the water extracts of the Indian costus and sea-Qust on S. aureus and K. pneumonia was also determined.
Result of the research
The results showed antibacterial effect of two types of dried Costus roots on all tested bacteria, especially in high concentrations. Also, the cold or hot water extract of Indian Costus was highly effective against tested bacteria at 20 to 25% concentration, while the hot extract of sea-Qust was more effective against tested bacteria than its cold extract in all the concentrations used.
Conclusion of Hadees: –
Olive is blessed tree, has barkat in it, eat its oil & apply on body, it cures leprosy, Basoor, best for pleurisy & shaitaan run away when we use it, can be used in combination of Warss, Qust etc, should be taken in one side of mouth or put in nose.