1. It is called Hulba in Hadis & Arabic. (الحلبة)
2. In English it is called as Fenugreek.
3. In Hindi & Urdu it is called as Methi.
4. Latin name is Gracecue foenum.
Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about Hulba (الحلبة) (Methi)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
Seek Cure in Hulba (Methi)
1. Hazrat Kasim Bin Abdur Rehman رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم guided to seek cure in Hulba (الحلبة) (Methi). : Reference At-Tibbe Nabawi (Al-Jawzi) volume 1; page no. 227.
A preparation with Hulba (Methi) for sick person
2. Once Hazrat Saad Bin Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه fell ill in Makkah, Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم visited him, and asked to call a doctor, Al Haris Bin Kuladah was called, he came and examined Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه , and said he is not serious, and advised to take dates (khajur), barley (jaw) & boiled Methi water & prepare daliya (soup like gravy) than put honey on it & give to Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه at early morning, garma-garam (warm). And Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه got well; Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم liked the preparation advised by Al Haris Bin Kuladah. : Reference At-tibbe Nabawi Harful Haa volume no. 1; page no. 230.
Hulba (Methi) & Gold
3. Hazrat Maaz Bin Jabal رضي الله عنه said, that “if you know the benefits of Hulba (الحلبة) (Methi), and if the price of it increases as price of gold, you will purchase it for gold price & use it. : Reference Majmauz Zawaid: 8035.
Scientific benefits of Methi
1. Good for throat infection.
2. Reduces swelling, cough, acidity, chronic cough, gas, piles, lungs infection,
3. It helps indigestion.
4. Cures lice and dandruff (Its water (Methi water) should be applied).
5. It is helpful in liver and kidney diseases & menstrual problems.
6. Induces labour pain.
7. Increases urine output.
Leaves, stem, seeds. (Seeds are best for medicinal use & leaves and soft stem for cooking purpose).
Adjuvant with Methi: –
(Means other things which can be used with Methi): – Khajur, kalongi, Anjeer, mulethi, jaw (barely), honey, Kasni.
Carbohydrate, minerals, calcium, phosphorus, iron, protein, Vitamin A, C, K, D, B1, B2, B3, B6, folic acid, zinc, copper, selenium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, dietary fibres, Trigonelline & etc.
How to use Methi
1. Cooked as bhaji and eaten.
2. Seeds should be boiled in little water for 15 minutes, then filtered and then the water should be drunk in Luke warm condition.
3. Gargle with warm Methi water for throat infections.
4. Soak Methi seeds in little water over night, filter and drink it at early morning empty stomach.
5. Chew the seeds properly and eat.
Science & Hadees regarding Methi (Fenugreek)
In light of Hadees saying that seek cure in it
The chemical composition of Methi seeds depicts that it contains proteins and Amino acids in such a ratio comparable to milk. Besides phosphates, it contains an organic form of iron which is easily absorbable through gastro-intestinal tract. It contains several Alkaloids but Trigonelline is an important one. The salts in it relieve the inflammation of urinary tract infections. On the basis of its chemical composition, it can be used as an expectorant. In the cases of Nephritis, when dieuresis becomes least, it is a good remedy to increase dieuresis. 5gm of Methi seeds powder if taken with water is highly beneficial in dysentery and diarrhoea. The lukewarm decoction of Methi seeds if taken with honey is beneficial in cough and increases urination. It is also a good appetizer and might be used in dyspepsia and anorexia. It also increases milk secretion when it is deficient.
It is a source of iron and B-complex hence can be used in general weakness. It is also reported that continuous use of Methi seeds is also significant in the treatment of hemorrhoids. The recent studies show that it is a good remedy for diabetes mellitus & Fenugreek seeds are also known for their anti-diabetic property
Several patients who were having raised blood glucose level and were treated with the formulation comprising Methi seeds; kalonji and tukhm-e-kasni improved significantly and the blood glucose level became normal. Some patients of NIDDM were also treated with Methi seeds, Berg-e-Neem and Kalonji and showed very good response. Methi seed is also useful in chronic dysentery and peptic ulcer.
They are also considered excellent to treat arthritis and to reduce blood cholesterol. They also increase breast milk production in breastfeeding mothers. Fenugreek contains natural expectorant properties and is considered ideal for treating sinus and lung congestion. It also helps in loosening and removing excess mucus and phlegm. The mucilage content of the seeds help to cure external boils, burns and ulcers.
Conclusion of Hadees
1. Seek cure by using Fenugreek seeds, it worth’s to purchase how much costly in may be, can be used in combination with other herbs during illness.