Kamaat (الكماة) mentioned in Hadis, according to many scholars is Truffles.
But many scholars believe that Kamaat (الكماة) is Mushroom.
Both come under the topic of Kamaat. (الكماة)
Truffles seem to be more proper. There are much type of Mushrooms & truffles. Both are products of fungus.
Names of Truffles
1. In Hadis it is called as Kamaat (الكماة)
2. In Hindi it is called as Kukuramutta. (Means can be eaten)
3. In English it is called as Earthnut & Truffles.
4. In Urdu it is called as Khambi.
Names of Mushroom
1. In Arabic it is called as Fatar (فطر)
2. In Urdu it is called as Khambi, Kullah bazan, Saap ki Chhatri, Futr.
They are fruit like edible (eatable) thing, but are not fruits, products of Ascomycete Fungus that grows beneath the surface of ground to a depth of 30 cm. & forms colonies,
grow near the root of trees,
& are of round, fleshy, soft, even, smooth surfaced or speckled surfaced, and its colour varies from gray, brown or blackish. They are similar to Potatoes. They are common in Arabia, Syria, Egypt, France, and Italy. They have a different peculiar smell. They are more found in Rainy season. But they are neither plants nor fruits.
There are many types of Truffles, & all are very expensive.
They are fleshy, spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus, typically produced above ground on soil or on its food source.
The standard name “mushroom” is for the cultivated white button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus,
They have a stem (stipe), a cap (pileus), and gills (lamellae, sing. lamella) or pores on the underside of the cap. These pores or gills produce microscopic spores that help the fungus spread across the ground or its occupant surface.
“Mushroom” describes a variety of gilled fungi, with or without stems, and the term is used even more generally, to describe both the fleshy fruiting bodies of some Ascomycota and the woody or leathery fruiting bodies of some Basidiomycota, depending upon the context of the word.
Forms deviating from the standard morphology usually have more specific names, such as “puffball”, “stinkhorn”, and “morel”, and gilled
Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم‘s guidance about Kamaat (الكماة)
1. Hazrat Saeed Bin Zaid رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said Kamaat (الكماة) is among Mann (a blessing thing) (المن), water of it, is cure for eyes (للعين). : Reference Bukhari: 4478; Book no. 65; In English volume no. 6; Book no. 60; Hadees no. 5.
2. Hazrat Abu Saeed رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that Kamaat (الكماة) is among Mann (المن) & Mann (المن) are from Jannah (الجنة) & water of it is cure (شفاء) for eyes (للعين). : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3579; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4 Book 31, Hadees no 3453.
3. Amr Bin Huraith heard from Hazrat Saeed Bin Zaid Bin Nufail رضي الله عنه that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said Kamaat (الكماة) is among Mann (المن), which Allah Ta’lah sent for Bani Israel, its water is cure for eyes (العين). : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3581; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4 Book 31, Hadees no 3454
4. Hazrat Suaheeb رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said “For your beneficial, Kamaat (الكماة) is present, that are among Mann (المن) & its water is cure (شفاء) for eyes (للعين). : Reference Abu Nu-aim: 258.
5. Qatadah says that Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه said that he took 3 or 5 or 7 Kamaat (الكماة) & drew out water from them & collected the water in a bottle & used the water for a slave eye disease & her eyes got cut. : Reference Tirmizi: 2211; Book No. 28; In English volume no. 4 Book 2, Hadees no. 2069.
6. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Abbas رضي الله عنه says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم came to us & said that, “When Jannah (الجنة) smiled Kamaat (الكماة) dropped on earth & when earth smiled Kabr (الكبر) grew”. : Reference Tibbun Nabawi: 666.
7. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that some people use to say that Kamaat (الكماة) are small pox (جدرى) of earth, on this Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said, Kamaat (الكماة) is among Mann (المن) & its water is cure for eyes & Ajwah (dates) are from Jannah ( الجنة) it saves from Poisoning. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3582; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4 Book 31, Hadees no 3455.
Scientific benefits of Truffles
1. They are good sources of protein & have all types of Amino acids.
2. They contain carbohydrates, glycogen, fungus cellulose.
3. They have no cholesterol.
4. Very helpful in Trachoma ( a deadly eye diseases which cause most of the blindness in the whole world).
Scientific benefits of Mushroom
1. Mushrooms decreases tumor growth and development in cells which develos cancers.
2. Mushrooms are the leading source of the essential antioxidant selenium thus protects body cells from getting damaged that might lead to chronic diseases.
3. They help to strengthen the immune system.
4.They have & provide ergothioneine, a naturally occurring antioxidant that helps to protect the body cells.
5. They give few calories thus helpful in obesity.
6. Rich in vitamin D.
Science & Hadees regarding Truffles & mushrooms
Truffles constitute an important source of protein among the desert plants. The composition of their nodules is as follows:-
It has 77% water and 23% other substances. These substances include 60% hydrocarbons, 7% fats, 4% fibers, 18% proteins, and the remaining 11% are in the form of ashes that remain after its burning. Seventeen amino acids have already been recognized in the proteins present in the truffles.
When the Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم describes the truffles as being of the manna, this actually implies that they grow by the Will and Grace of Allah as they are not cultivated by man. Moreover, they require neither seeds nor water to grow. The only interference by man in this process is to exert effort in their gathering. As for the other description given by the Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم that “ Their water is healing to the eye ” , Ibn Sina mentioned that Muslims, in response to this Hadees used to boil its water, cool it and then use it as eye drops . Dr. Al-Mu`taz al-Marzuqi, an Egyptian Ophthalmologist, tried to study this Hadees in the light of modern science, and reached very important results.
He found that the water of truffles prevents the occurrence of fibrosis in cases of eye trachoma. Truffles stop the formation of the fibrous tissue in the infected area. Experiments have proven that the application of the water of truffles in the treatment of trachoma has led to an enormous drop in the formation of lymphatic cells resulting from inflammation, which may lead to opacity of the cornea. Trachoma is a chronic contagious inflammation from which most inhabitants of the Arab world, the Mediterranean region and others all over the world suffer. The complications resulting from this disease may lead to total blindness.
Trachoma with its various complications is found to be completely responsible for more than 25% of the cases of blindness in areas where the disease is widespread. Very often, trachoma is also accompanied by spring ophthalmia, which increases fibrosis in the infected area. Experiments carried by Dr. Al-Mu`taz Al-Marzuqi have proven that the water of truffles remarkably reduces the occurrence of fibrosis in the eye cornea, through stopping the growth of the cells which form the fibers, equalizing the chemical effect of the trachoma poisons and inhibiting the unnatural growth of the cells of the conjunctiva, because most of the complications of trachoma occur because of fibrosis of the cornea that are cured by the water of truffles. (By Dr. Zaghloul El-Naggar).
Conclusion of Hadees
1. Truffles are among Mann, means a blessing reward, they are origin from Jannah, & beneficial in eye diseases, also they are not small pox on earth, as believed previously.