Prophet صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about jaw
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم used jaw (الشعير) (barley) as
chapatti (roti), Daliya (gravy), Sattu (Saweeq), Talbinah (التلبينه).
Barely (Jaw) & Tamar dates
1. Hazrat Yusuf Bin Abdullah Bin Salam رضي الله عنه saw Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم having a piece jaw (الشعير) (barley) chapatti (Khabuz) (الشعير خبر) & kept Tamar (date) on the chapatti (Khabuz) (الشعير خبز) & Nabi said that the Tamar (تمر) (dates) are equivalent to its gravy (salan) & ate it. : Reference Abu Dawud: 3830 Book no 28; In English: Book no 27 Hadees no. 3821.
Barely breads (chapatti)
2. Narrated by Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه said Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم used to spend many nights in a row hungry and his family could find no supper, and usually their bread was barley bread.” : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3472; Book no. 29; In English volume no. 4; Book 29, Hadees no 3347.
After Friday Salah, a special dish
3. Hazrat Sahal Bin Saad رضي الله عنه says that,
we used to be happy on Fridays, for there was an old lady who used to pull out the roots of Silq and put it in a cooking pot with some barley. When we use to finish the (Friday) prayer, we would visit her and she would present that dish before us. So we used to be happy on Fridays because of that, and we never used to take our meals or have a mid-day nap except after the Friday prayer. By Allah, that meal contained no fat. : Reference Bukhari: 5403; Book no. 70; In English volume no. 7; Book no. 65; Hadees no 315.
Barley (Jaw) broth & its merits
4. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that, when ever anybody use to fell ill, in Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم‘s family, Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم use to advice to eat Barley broth (فضع الشعير) (Harisa or Daliya) & use to say it removes the sorry grief from the heart of the patient & removes weakness, as anyone washes the face with water & water clears the dirt present on face. : Reference Tirmizi: 2173; Book No. 28; In English volume no.4 Book 2, Hadees no 2039.
5. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said “You should eat the beneficial thing that is unpleasant to eat: Talbinah,” meaning broth. If any family member of Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم fall sick, the cooking pot would remain on the fire until one of two things happened, either the person recovered or died : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3572; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4; Book 31, Hadees no 3446.
By the above, the scholars say that we come to know that the dish should be freshly prepared every time & given to the patient again & again in Luke warm condition.
Talbinah & its merits
6. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها use to advice Talbinah (التلبينه) for patient mostly & use to say if the patient dislikes it, then also give him because it is very beneficial (النافع). : Reference Bukhari: 5690; Book no. 76; In English volume no. 7; Book no. 71; Hadees no 594.
7. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that whenever in our family anyone passed away (die), people use to come to meet (for pursa) specially ladies,
When all the people use to go away, expect close family members than Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها use to ask to cook Talbinah (التلبينه), than ask to cook Sareed (ثريد) than she رضي الله عنها use to ask to put Talbinah (التلبينه) in Sareed (ثريد) vessel & ask to eat & she use to say that she heard Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم saying that Talbinah (التلبينه) brings comfort to the sick (المريض) & lessens grief. : Reference Muslim: 2216; Book no. 39; In English; Book no. 26; Hadees no 5491.
8. Hazrat Abu Barda رضي الله عنه says that when I reached Madinah, I met Hazrat Abdullah Bin Salam رضي الله عنه , and he invited me as a guest & said to Hazrat Barda رضي الله عنه that I will give you meal in the vessel from which Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم drank & also guide you to offer Salah (Namaz) in the masjid in which Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم offered Salah (Namaz). Further Hazrat Barda رضي الله عنه accepted the invitation & says that I was offered with sattu of jaw & dates & I offered Salah (Namaz) in Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s masjid. : Reference Bukhari 7342; Book no 96; In English volume no. 9 ; Hadees no. 441. (Jaw sattu means roasted barley flour).`
9. Narrated by Abi Burda that Abu Musa Al-Ashari رضي الله عنه was to send Yemen by Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم, & he asked about certain (alcoholic) drinks, which were prepared there, about Al-Bit & Al-Mirz & said, “Al-Bit is an alcoholic drink made from honey; and Al-Mizr is an alcoholic drink made from barley.” To his Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم answered that “All intoxicants are prohibited.” : Reference Bukhari: 4343; Book No. 64; In English volume no. 5; Book no. 59; Hadees no 631.
10.Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that once my mother Umme Sulem رضي الله عنها ask me to give a basket of dates to Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم, Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه went to Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s home, but he came to know that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم has gone to a feast at his ex-slave to whom Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم had freed in past.
(Actually Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم had freed this slave; the slave became a good tailor & earned good money for himself. Now he had invited Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم for a feast along with some companions of Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم). When Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه reach the slave’s place, everybody was eating, Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه was asked to join the feast & he did. They were served with Sareed (ثرد) made from pumpkin (kara’a), dried meat & jaw (barley) chapatti. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه knew that pumpkin (kara’a) was favourite to Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم & he use to collect pieces of pumpkin (kara’a) in front of Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم. Than after the feast, Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه & Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم went to Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s home & Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه gave the basket of dates. (The respected) Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم was eating the dates & distributing the dates among people, till the dates finished. : Reference Bukhari: 5379 & 5420; Book no. 70; In English volume no. 7 Book no. 65; Hadees no 291 & 331. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3428; Book no. 29; In English volume no. 4; Book 29, Hadees no 3303. (& also from other reference all are mixed & written, please note).
A Formulation for sick person liked by Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم
11. Once Hazrat Saad Bin Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه fell ill in Makkah, Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم visited him, and asked to call a doctor, Al Haris Bin Kuladah was called, he came and examined Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه, and said he is not serious, and advised to take dates (khajur), barley (jaw) & boiled Methi water & prepare daliya (soup like gravy) than put honey on it & give to Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه at early morning, garma-garam (warm). And Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه got well; Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم liked the preparation advised by Al Haris Bin Kuladah. : Reference At-tibbe Nabawi Harful Haa volume no. 1; page no. 230.
Guidance to use dates, barley (jaw) & etc during & after illness
12. Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها says that, Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم & Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه both came home, she had Dawaal (دوال) (bunches of dates), she served Dawaal (دوال) to both, both started to eat the dates, but when Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه had eaten 7 dates (approximately) he was stopped by Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم from eating more, & said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه that you were ill last days & now you are weak, so do not eat more, Hearing to his Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها prepared Sareed (ثرد) (thin gravy) of meat, beet root & chapatti (خبز) from Jaw (الشعير) (barely flour) & served to both, on this Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلمsaid to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه eat this dish, this is beneficial for you. : Reference Tirmizi: 2170; Book No. 28; In English volume no. 4, Book 2, Hadees no 2036.
Hasis (Hais) a sweet dish
13.Narrated by Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم married Hazrat Safiya رضي الله عنها & called people for a feast (as dawat e valima) & served people with Hais, (Hasis) on a piece of leather ( dastarkhwaan). : Reference Bukhari: 5387; Book No. 70; In English volume no. 7 Book no. 65; Hadees no 299.
Hais (Hasis) is a sweet dish (halwa) prepared from Tamar (تمر) dates, milk, jaw (barley), ghee, paneer etc. Hais (Hasis) was liked by Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم very much.
What is Sareed & how to prepare it? Nabiصلی اللہ علیہ وسلم liked Sareed most among all food dishes: –
14. Narrated by Abu Musa رضي الله عنه that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that the superiority of A’isha over other women is like the superiority of Sareed over other dishes. : Reference Tirmizi: 1834; Book No. 25; In English volume no.3; Book 23, Hadees no 1834.
Talbinah for anorexia (lack of appetite)
8. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that whenever anyone complaint about anorexia (less hunger) to Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم. Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم use to advice to eat Talbinah (التلبينه), & use to say that by “Allah, (kasam) who has my life in his right” and further said that Talbinah (التلبينه) will clear your guts (stomach, intestines & etc) from unwanted elements, like you wash your face with water & water cleans the dirt from the face.: Reference is in An-Nasa’i: 7576 according to المكتبة الشاملة (Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah).
Method of preparing Talbinah
1. Take 2 to 3 teaspoon of jaw (barley) sattu.
2. Add the sattu in 1 glass milk & mix vigorously in mixer or manually.
3. Than boil the mixture properly on a low flame for 10 to 15 minutes till the mixture gets thick & fumes of jaw & milk comes.
4. Than let it cool a little and add 3 to 5 teaspoon of honey in it.
5. Then use it in Luke warm condition, again & again.
6. Give Talbinah to ill patient, old, pregnant & etc.
7. Always prepare fresh & serve.
8. Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم many times broke the fast with Talbinah.
How to prepare jaw (barley) sattu
1. Take some jaw (barley) grain with husk.
2. Take a pan & put some pure ghee in it & heat the ghee little.
3. Then put the jaw (barley) grains in the pan and roast them a little.
4. Then keep them for self cooling.
5. Then grind them into flour.
6. Also you can roast the flour.
7. And store (This is sattu).
How to make Sareed
Take some meat of goat or lamb; cut the meat into small pieces than boil it, as we do while preparing soups. Smash the boiled meat into small fibers (especially of lamb or goat).
Add required amount of water & put the smashed meat in it along with the soup obtained while boiling the meat & prepare soup in routine way. When the soup is read put small pieces of jaw (barley) chapatti or jaw bread init & cover the vessel with a plate for 5 minutes. Than serve it.
Contents of jaw (barley)
Proteins, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, vitamin C, K, A, zinc, selenium, dietary fibers, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, saturated fat etc.
Scientific benefits of jaw (barley)
1. Jaw (barley) reduces cholesterol.
2. Beneficial in kidney stones & gall stones.
3. It is nourishing.
4. Rich in fibers thus removes constipation & makes us free from taking medicines for.
5. Reduces blood pressure.
6. It counteracts toxins which causes intestinal cancers
7. Helps in controlling blood sugar & reduces blood glucose.
8. Reduces fats of the body.
9. Helps in reducing obesity.
10. Beneficial in anaemia
11. It helps digestion.
12. Removes toxins.
13. It improves immunity.
14. It prevents osteoporosis & atherosclerosis.
15. It is a good antidote in poisoning.
16. Maintains skin elasticity, increases skin tone.
17. Promotes hair growth, restores hair colour.
18. Reduces hair fall.
19. Heals wounds.
20. It reduces inflammation.
21. It is an anti ageing.
Science & Hadees regarding Barley
In Hadees it is mentioned that it cleans the digestive system, strengthens the Qabl (heart) & etc: –
Scientists have found the following items during the chemical synthesis of barley- albuminoids, starch, fat, fiber, ash and water. Chemical composition shows that it contains the fat in the form of Leucosine Gluten Albumen, the compound of Nitrogen as palmatic Acid, Salisylic Acid, and Phosphoric Acid. Besides, it contains Hypoxanthens. British Pharmacopoeia recommends Malt extract for internal use. It contains 4 per cent Proteins, the enzymes for digestion of carbohydrates and vitamins. Some scientists also indicate the presence of Arsenic in the barley grain.
Mechanism of Action Pharmacology
Gastrointestinal effects: Germinated Barley Foodstuff (GBF) is derived from the aleurone and scutellum fractions of germinated barley. GBF appears to induce proliferation of intestinal epithelial cells and facilitate defecation through bacterial production of short chain fatty acids, especially butyrate. GBF is believed to facilitate epithelial repair and suppress epithelial NFkB-DNA binding activity through butyrate (by the micro flora bifid bacterium and eubacterium). GBF has been associated with increased growth of these micro floras in the intestinal tract & varying amounts of total tocopherols and tocotrienols (49.9-67.6mg/kg) and vitamin E content (vitamin E equivalent; 15.7-20.1mg/kg). Barley products composed of different amylose-amylopectin ratios (7-44% amylose) have been reported to lower metabolic responses
Lunasin, a novel, cancer-preventive peptide found in barley, internalizes into mammalian cells within minutes of exogenous application and localizes in the nucleus after 18 hours. It inhibits acetylation of core histones in mammalian cells. Lunasin does not affect the growth rate of normal and established cancer cells, but is selective for cells being transformed or newly transformed by binding to deacetylated core histones exposed by the transformation event, disrupting the dynamics of histone acetylation-deacetylation and leading to cell death.
Antihypertensive & effects
It has predominantly insoluble fiber and soluble fiber in a whole-grain diet helpful diet for blood pressure & lowers cholesterol, two barley products, barley oil and brewer’s spent grains (BSG), neither of which contains soluble fiber, have been investigated for their potential positive impact on lipid metabolism. Brewer’s spent grains (BSG) is a by-product of the brewing industry and typically contains 98% insoluble dietary fiber and is high in protein (20-30%) and lipid (6-10%) and contains three times more tocotrienols than the whole grain. The combined animal and human studies on barley oil and brewer’s spent grains suggest that some components, possibly the tocotrienols which are an antioxidant, have the ability to effect lipid controlling enzymes and lower cholesterol. Plasma lipid-lowering effects of barley have been attributed to rich amounts of beta-glucan, a water-soluble fiber. The beta-glucan component of barley is believed to slow gastric emptying time, prolong the feeling of fullness, and stabilize blood sugars. Other contributory factors may be d-alpha-tocotrienol. In chicks, high protein barley flour (HPBF)-based diets increase body weight (18%), suppress HMG-CoA reductase (-36%), impair fatty acid synthetase (-40%), and decrease serum triglyceride (-9%) and cholesterol levels (-23%).9
Barley contains more fermentable carbohydrate than other cereals such as rice. Fermentation of undigested carbohydrate produces short chain fatty acids, some which may reduce hepatic glucose production and affect postprandial glycemia. Because of viscous properties of beta-glucans, boiled flours appear to produce higher glucose and insulin responses when compared with milled kernels. According to a controlled study in 18 lean, healthy men ingesting barley beta-glucan given with high- carbohydrate food and high-carbohydrate drinks, beta-glucan significantly decreased glycemic and insulinemic responses on the food (p<0.05) but not on the drink (p>0.05) treatments, compared to controls.4 In another study comparing crackers and cookies made of whole wheat or barley, the barley crackers and cookies had glycemic indices of 49 and 34, respectively, whereas whole wheat crackers and cookies had 78 and 81, respectively.5
Barley bread (chapatti) & its flour was the mostly eaten food of Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم & His Family. Barley broth (daliya), Talbinah, barley flour water (jaw Sattu sharbat), its flour is best for health. It strengthens & soothes the Qabl (heart), cleans the digestive sytem, removes weakness & etc. Prescribe to your patients to eat it again even if the patient dislikes it. It can be used by everyone, fast can be opened by its Sattu water (barley flour water).