1. In Hadees they are called as Salq (السِّلْقِ).
2. In Hindi they are called as Chukander, Shaljam.
3. In English they are called as Beet Root.
4. Many scholars consider Salq as white beet root (Chard).
5. We can consider all types of beet root, but white beet root should to more consider.
They are taproot portion of beet root plants, their tap root, leaves & stems are used as cooked food, medicinal uses, eaten raw as salad, drank as juices or soup, as vinegar, pickles, jams, ice creams, sauces & etc. All variety has a unique shape, size & colour, all are from same family.
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about Salaq (Beet root)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
After Friday Salah, a special dish
1. Hazrat Sahal Bin Saad رضي الله عنه narrates, we used to be happy on Fridays, for there was an old lady who used to pull out the roots of Salq (chard) and put it in a cooking pot with some barley. When we had (use to) finished the (Friday) prayer, we would visit her and she would present that dish before us. So we used to be happy on Fridays because of that, and we never used to take our meals or have a mid-day nap except after the Friday prayer. By Allah, that meal contained no fat. : Reference Bukhari: 5403 & 6248; Book no. 70 & 79; In English volume 7 & 8; Book no. 65; Hadees no. 315 & 265.
Guidance to use dates, barley (jaw) & etc during & after illness
2. Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها says that Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم & Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه both came home, she had Dawaal (دوال) (bunches of dates), she served Dawaal (دوال) to both, both started to eat the dates, but when Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه had eaten 7 dates (approximately) he was stopped by Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم from eating more, & said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه that you were ill last days & now you are weak, so do not eat more, Hearing to his Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها prepared Sareed (ثريد) (thin gravy) of meat, beet root & chapatti (خبز) from jaw (الشعير) (barely flour) & served to both, on this Rasool Allah صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه eat this dish, this is beneficial for you. : Reference Tirmizi: 2170; Book No. 28, In English volume no. 4, Book 2, Hadees no 2036.
Content of beet root
Carbohydrate, sugar, starch, protein, dietary fibers, zinc, potassium, sodium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, Manganese, calcium, Vitamin B1, B2, B3,B5, B6, B7, B12, C,A, betaine & etc.
Scientific benefits of beet root
Beetroots are antitumor, carminative, emmenagogue, haemostatic properties, antioxidant, helpful in cardiovascular conditions, used as colouring agent, helps regulate blood pressure, promotes cognitive health, prevention against anemia, they have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory & detoxification properties, lowers bad cholesterol, they are stamina enhancer via oxygen usage efficiency, weapon against infection, gate keeper of blood flow to certain organs & they improve digestion.
Beets contain high amounts of boron, which is directly related to the production of human sex hormones, reduces changes of cancers, best for shin, hairs, liver, kidney, heart, lungs, brain & etc.
Science & Hadees regarding beet root
In Hadees Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم stop Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه to take more Dates & advised to eat gravy of beetroot.
Beetroot is a powerhouse of nutrients and has many important health benefits. As well as purifying the blood, fighting cancer and other diseases, this super food has recently been found to provide an energy boost and improve physical performance whilst using up less energy. It is rich in Vitamin B; it helps for skin health and hair growth. Including 1 glass Beetroot juice in our diet controls the high blood pressure and also improves the memory power.
1. No Fat: – Beetroots doesn’t contain fat as it helps us to reduce the desire of eating sweet. It will be beneficial for those who are dieting.
2. Boosts the Energy: – Beetroots contains carbohydrates and it helps to give instant energy.
3. Folic Acid: – Folic Acid is essential for women as it helps to develop the fertility system & prevents prostate health; Including Beetroot in your diet is the natural way of gaining folic acid in our body.
4. Nutrition: – Many Parents feel that we lack in providing nutritious food to their children, So Beetroots are the best nutritious foods as it contains Vitamin A, C, Magnesium, Calcium, Minerals, Potassium, Iron etc which helps to provide the required energy and supplements to our body.
5. For Healthy Heart: – Are you suffering from High blood pressure? Then take 1 glass of beetroot juice daily. It contains Nitrates, when it mixed with blood it produces nitric oxide which helps to reduce the blood pressure so can we yield good healthy condition heart.
6. Beetroot Juice: – Taking Beetroot juice daily gives lot of benefits to us. It just contains not only Nitrates; these are the rich sources of Vitamins, Minerals, and Amino acids. It also has the characteristic of fighting against cancer causing agents. A glass of beetroot juice a day will improve blood flow to the brain, which will result in better and efficient brain functionality. Beetroot juice naturally and efficiently opens blocked blood vessels and veins and increases the blood flow in the body. A glass of beetroot juice a day improves the immunity system and gives you a kick of energy.
Conclusion of Hadees
Happiness of Hazrat Sahl Bin Saad رضي الله عنه indicates that beetroot was liked by them, & saying that if it has no fats indicates that they disliked Fats which is mostly unwanted by the body & gives severe ill effects in health. Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه was advised to eat beetroot gravy in place of dates, indicates its importance in health after illness (recovery period) means we should eat them in recovery periods. And also note the intelligence of Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها that when she heard that Ali رضي الله عنه was stopped from eating more dates quickly prepared what was suitable for Ali رضي الله عنه This shows how intelligent & wise they were regarding uses of food.