Fat-tailed sheep are hardy and adaptable, able to withstand the tough challenges of desert life. When feed is plentiful and parasites not a major factor, fat-tailed sheep can be large in size and growth. The carcass quality of these sheep is quite good, with most of the fat concentrated in the tail area. Fat tailed sheep were bred specifically to produce the fatty tails which were used in soups and other cooking. The fat of the tails is called Allyah, with the tail representing up to 15% of the entire carcass weight.
1. In Hadis it is called as Al-Kabash Arabi.
2. In Urdu & Hindi it is called as Dumba.
3. In English it is called as Fat rumped sheep or fat tailed Sheep.
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم’s guidance about Al-Kabash Arabi (الكبش العربي)
Arabic words written in below references are the words mentioned in respected Hadees. You can confirm the references of Hadees at sunna.com & Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah (المكتبة الشاملة) also.
Cure for Arqunisa (sciatica)
1. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said “The cure for Arqun-Nisa (عرق النشاء) (lower back pain) is in fat-tail of Bedouin sheep, its fats should be melted & divided into 3 parts & each part (should) be taken each day on empty stomach. : Reference Ibn Ma-jah: 3592; Book no. 31; In English volume no. 4 Book 31, Hadees no 3463.
2. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that he prescribed Al-Kabash Arabi for Arqun-Nisa (lower back pain) to 300 people & Allah Ta’lah healed to all. : Reference Islamic medicine page no. 166; book by Yusuf Al-Hajj Ahmad.
Contents of it
Lipids, Omega-3 & 6, Fatty acids, essential & non essential fatty acids & etc.
Science & Hadees regarding fat-tailed Sheep
1-The role of fats in the treatment of this illness: –
Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم mentioned that the treatment of Sciatica, in some cases, is the tail of a sheep, which is in fact right.
Modern science says
Lipid metabolism has three branches, each is related to the type of fat consumed in a big quantity leading therefore to the formation of three different chemical compounds (prostaglandin 1, 2 & 3) that have opposite effects from each other. These compounds, called the prostaglandins, resemble the hormones and have different effects on pains and inflammations in the body.
Prostaglandins type 1 prevent pain and come from the fatty acid called gamma linoleic acid (GLA) that belongs to the omega 6 fat group found on a limited basis in some wild plant . These products help convert of linoleic acid to gamma linoleic acid and then to prostaglandins type 3.
Prostaglandins type 2 on the other hand, augments the pains. These are formed from omega 6 fat group as well, and mainly from linoleic acid found in margarines and cakes, as well as vegetable oils.
A prostaglandins type 3 is known for their calming action on the pains and inflammations. Those are formed from Alpha Linoleic Acid (ALA), which is converted to the two compounds EPA and DHA. Alpha Linoleic Acid is found in the oils of natural leaves and herbs, and so this is an advantage of the natural vegetal food eaten by humans and animals like the sheep living in a desert (oasis) especially fat-tailed sheep’s. Oils that contain alpha linoleic acid are cheap. Those belong to the omega-3 group known for its large benefits and are liquid in room temperature.
Some of the benefits of fats of omega -3
1. The decrease of cholesterol level, the protection from heart diseases and brain strokes, the protection from arterial hypertension, rheumatoid, eczema and cancers, weight loss, formation of the tissues of the brain, the eye, the ear, the reproductive glands and the other glands’ tissues, formation of the membranes surrounding all the cells of the body and acting to protect the cells, repairing the nervous tissues as in the case of a herniated disk, one of the principal causes of Sciatica, inflammation of nervous tissues, which is the second main cause of Sciatica.
2- The desert sheep live on natural herbs, rich in the omega 3 fats and from it 700 medicines are prepared. The beneficial oils the sheep obtains from these herbs are stored in its tail.
3- Nabi صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم said that the tail should be melted first, and so the harmful bacteria and germs are killed by the heat.
4- It should also be taken in three days, not more, to avoid fat oxidation and rancidity.
5-It should be taken on an empty stomach, so that no other lipids compete with the lipids of the tail for absorption in the digestive tract at the vesicles and pancreas level in addition to the cellular level where the enzymes acting at the membrane convert those lipids of the omega 3 group to the beneficial type 3 prostaglandin that reduce the inflammations and the pain caused by Sciatica.
Conclusion of Hadees
1. Its fats are a cure for sciatica but many scholars says that this advice was for a particular people of a particular region.